- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Why Does My Child Get Ear Infections?
My child gets ear infections. What should I do?
Ear infections are the number 1 reason for visiting a pediatrician’s office. The usual treatment is a 10-day regiment of the antibiotic amoxicillin.
Did you know that most disappear on their own if left untreated with antibiotics? The American Academy of Pediatrics says 80% of children whose ear infections are not treated immediately with antibiotics get better on their own.
For years and years, the negative effects of antibiotics and their use with ear infections have been published in peer reviewed journals. Yet the mass prescribing of antibiotics continue.
The advantages of antibiotics are that it may help to reduce fluid in the ear as well as middle ear infection. The disadvantages are that fluid may not go away, there may be unwanted drug side-effects, and drug resistant strains of bacteria may develop.
The good news is that you have natural options to exhaust first. The following is my top 5 recommendations for ear infections.
- Chiropractic care for children – it’s gentle, safe and effective. We use specific techniques that were developed just for children.
- Garlic oil – naturally antibacterial.
- Lavender oil – soothing to the ear
- Naturopathic ear drops – visit a local health food store.
- Omega 3 fatty acids and a multi-vitamin for prevention
Take a moment to get informed and find out what some of the studies are saying. Visit http://www.icpa4kids.org/research/children/antibiotics.htm and www.yostfamilychiropractic.com for more information. Go to http://www.icpa4kids.org/research/children/earinfections.htm for natural management.
Submitted by Dr. Heather Yost with Yost Family Chiropractic.
Information gathered from the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.